Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

college or no college?

I am an avid reader, of blogs and books alike. SInce it is the summer and most of what I am doing lately is nothing at all (at least until my job starts), I've decided I am going to read a ton of books this summer.

My reading list is wicked long right now. Most of the books are recommendations from the blogs that I am following, which I mentioned a few posts back. Almost the whole list originated in one day, thank you obsessive personality.

One book I just started is called The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss. It is extremely interesting so far, mostly because it highlights a completely unconventional way of life. Between this and the other blogs/books I am reading, it is starting to make me reconsider which direction I am taking in life.

What I want to do in terms of a career is not what I am reconsidering, because I do not intend whatsoever to have a desk job, but something more fulfilling than that. The thing I am reconsidering is college, and its scaring the shit out of me.

I was reading the first blog post on and the author of the website dropped out of college on a full scholarship during his freshman year. I have read in a bunch of other places about how seemingly unnecessary college is, especially because of the big price tag. HOWEVER, not going to college to pursue what I want to do scares me. Almost everyone I know is going to college, and I can't imagine NOT going.

To be honest, I absolutely love college, and I wouldn't want to leave early. I actually enjoy going to class and learning, especially because I am taking classes that I want to and that I find interesting. Not to mention living without my parents, living with my friends, and literally having the freedom to do whatever I want. Another thing that college offers is a million and one opportunities that one cannot get in the outside world. If an opportunity came around that would make going to college somewhat unnecessary, then I think I would reconsider the path I'm on.

For now, I think I am going to stick to the college route. But I am going to stay completely open to different lifestyles and ways of life.

Any thoughts on alternative lifestyles?

No comments:

Post a Comment