Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

epitome of college life

So right now I am currently in my second class of the day and lucky for me, my last class got cancelled so now this is my last class. However, this would be more fantastic if i wasn't woken up at roughly 2:50 am early this morning.

Now, seeing as how I am in college and we are talking of a thursday night, the classic reason for me being woken up at this time would be drunk kids coming in from a night of partying. But lucky for me, and the rest of the residents in my building, we have a special breed of drunk kids. Kids who like to set of the fire alarm in the early hours of the morning on really inappropriate days. This wouldn't be as annoying if it was not the 8th time that this has happened this year.

Yes, the 8th time that some asshole thought it would be hilarious to play around with the fire extinguisher because they don't get munchies when they drink, they get wake-everyone-possible-up-when-they-are-all-asleep-by-setting-off-the-fire-alarm-ies.

Here's the story:

After finally figuring out what my thesis statement would be for my upcoming research paper, I got a couple of pages down and an outline for the rest of the paper. Then I decided that that was enough work for the night, so I went back to my dorm to watch movies with my friends and eat a plethora of chips and dip.

After deciding to go to bed around 1:30, I walked down to my room and obviously got caught up in reading tons of blogs and didn't make it to bed until about 2:10. I picked up a book, read for about 20 minutes, and started to drift off to sleep.

That's when I heard it. The all too familiar sound coming from the floor above me. I new it would hit my floor in a matter of seconds, so as I jumped out of bed to put on some socially acceptable clothing, the lights started flashing.

A nice little added bonus was that instead of the usual beeping that happens, the alarm was at first just a long, extremely loud buzzing noise that drives itself like a screwdriver into your brain.

So I walk out into the courtyard with everyone else, everyone especially pissed because they thought shit like this might have been in the past. But drunk kids rear their head yet again.

After 20 minutes of chatting and complaining about the cold, we find out that the cops are so sick of being called here for bullshit fire alarms, they want to clean up the mess before anyone gets let back in. What had happened, we learned, was that someone, for the 5th time, thought playing around with the fire extinguisher would be hilarious, especially if they could get it all over the hall and into an innocent 3rd party's room.

The hall director told us that at 3:10 in the morning, we would have roughly another hour to hang out in the courtyard before we would be allowed back into the building. So he opened up the dining hall.

We all spent the next hour or so in the dining hall, some people trying to sleep, the drunk kids climbing on things, and most delirious from lack of sleep, and worrying that they wouldn't be able to get enough sleep before their early classes tomorrow.

Eventually we were let back into the building, around 4:10 am. I was too energetic to even fall asleep for almost another hour, and the drunk kids had no problem socializing in the halls keeping me awake.

Of all of the typical college things I have experienced, and all of the hilarious moments that have occurred, spending the early hours of the morning in the dining hall is in a category of its own. As a senior coming back together for a bar crawl with my floor, fire alarms will be one of the nostalgic topics of conversation that I am willing to guess most other floors do not have tying them together.


Due to the fact that I am exhausted and we are watching a movie in my class, I am quite obviously not really paying attention and reading this hilarious blog. Definitely worth checking out:

www.hyperpoleandahalf.blogspot.com

Peace dudes
Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment